Diwali or Deepavali is a four-to-five-day long festival hugely celebrated in India by certain castes like Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, and Buddhists. The dates of this festival are ascertained by the Hindu calendar but by the Gregorian calendar, it usually falls somewhere between mid-October and mid-November.
The names of these festive days and the rituals practiced during this time varies from region to region and also from one caste to another. One of the few things common in all regions and castes is that people give gifts to their family, friends, employees, and workers (maids, gardeners, etc.). Some organizations give out Diwali bonuses too and hence it is the most awaited time of the year.
Every time before Diwali, we are driven to go shopping for gifts for family, relatives, colleagues, clients, etc. Some people choose to have a standard gift but sometimes you have to show people in your life how special they are to you or show clients how thoughtful you are and how much you value them. There are several reasons for you to not have one standard gift for everyone and instead, you should try to customize them based on the recipient of the gifts.
The problem is that after buying a few gifts, we run out of ideas, and we have to clue what to buy after that? What you need is to be armed with a collection of unique Diwali gift ideas so that you have a variety of gifts to choose from. You need this because if you don’t have a lot of ideas ready when you go shopping, then only the first few gifts will be looked upon as thoughtful and chances are that all the other gifts might seem generic. This will show how much you value only some people and not others. This might upset some people in your life and this is something that can be avoided. What’s the point of going the extra mile and yet end up making people upset? So if you are going to do this, let’s do it right.
Diwali Gifts For Employees
So initially, let’s take care of all the people that you have to give gifts to, but for whom you don’t want to put in much effort. When you are hosting a Diwali celebration in the office, you can gift your employees and/or colleagues those small boxes of special Diwali chocolates or sweets. There are miscellaneous boxes available online as well as in stores. They have an assortment of different chocolates, different dry fruits, different chocolates that has dry fruits in it, etc.
You could give them environment-friendly gifts like a desk plant that makes their workspace homier and makes it look a little fresh. You can celebrate Diwali by making rangoli in the office using the organic powders and abstain from indulging in crackers. The noise pollution is very harmful to the animals and the air pollution is already disturbing the earth’s atmosphere.
Diwali Gifts For Relatives
For people or relatives that staying far away, you can send Diwali gifts to them which can seem thoughtful even when you don’t know what they like or what their interests are. You can select some coupons or vouchers of brands or websites they usually shop from and as you know you can never go wrong with Amazon gift cards. You can also give them gift baskets, chocolate bouquets or a set of divas as that is what people usually give each other in this festival.
If you live somewhere out of India, then sending Diwali gifts to India is not that of an onerous task either. You will find lots of options on Amazon, Snapdeal, Flipkart, etc. on what to get for Diwali. You can even try the Myntra website if you are choosing gifts for girls. These are some delivery services that are reliable internationally.
Amazon would be the most recommended and approved website when it comes to quality and efficiency, whereas Flipkart and Snapdeal are those websites that have better deals and prices. So if you are buying a lot of gifts and going for quantity, then maybe you should consider gifts that are less expensive, but if you have a good budget then you should go for Amazon and get superior quality products. It has a very extensive range of Diwali gifts that you can choose from.
Speaking of good quality and reasonably priced products, www.printmyspace.com has a stupendous collection of art that can be gifted to your loved ones. They have wall art, wallpaper, wallpaper rolls, blinds, posters, and other types of gifts. If you have an idea in your mind but it’s not available on the website, you can place the order of your requirement because they also take custom orders, that too at a feasible price. Their services are infallible and efficient and once you see their collection, trust me, you are going to be obsessed with it.
Compared to the other basic and common Diwali gifts, the products from this website are advantageous as well as timeless. The chocolates and sweets will be consumed in a few days after Diwali and forgotten but when you gift someone a wall art, they flaunt it in their living rooms or their own rooms and remember you fondly every time they glance at it.
According to the epic mythological story, Ramayana, it was on the day of Diwali that Lord Ram, Lord Lakshman and Ma Sita returned to Ayodhya. They defeated the demon king Ravana and conquered Lanka before returning and hence all the citizens of Ayodhya decorated the whole city with earthen lamps and illuminated it like never before, which is why Diwali is also called the festival of lights because it is a festival to honor and worship Lord Ram’s victory and his safe return with the use of lights.
Diwali is a festival that celebrates the victory of good over evil, so what you can do this Diwali is that you can gift things that symbolize that victory. You can gift idols of Lord Ganesha, Goddess Lakshmi, and Goddess Saraswati and share good vibes around. www.printmyspace.com has an amazing collection of wall art of these gods and goddesses that are not only beautiful to look at but they make the ambiance of the room more pious.
The second day of Diwali is called Naraka Chaturdashi. The reason for that is because that was the day when Lord Krishna vanquished the demon king called Narakaasur who used to take great pleasure in torturing the people of his kingdom. With this heroic defeat, Lord Krishna managed to rescue more than sixteen thousand women from this demon king and the celebration of this defeat went on for 2 days, i.e the first and second days of Diwali.
One of the other reasons why Diwali is revered is because it is Goddess Lakshmi’s birthday, who is the goddess of wealth, fortune, and prosperity. Diwali is also the day when Lord Vishnu, in his 5th incarnation, had rescued Goddess Lakshmi from the prison of King Bali. The day of Diwali is a consequential day for all those who worship Goddess Lakshmi and that is why a lot of people also have a tradition of buying new jewellery on these days to honor the Goddess.
So gifting something of this goddess would denote that you truly embrace the meaning and spirit of Diwali. If you are looking for wall art of Goddess Lakshmi, you cannot go wrong with this astounding piece – https://www.printmyspace.com/shop/mata-laxmi-puja-poster-diwali-poster-canvas-vinyl-art-print-hindu-god-indian-ethnic-vintage-religious-spiritual-poster-wall-art-home-decor-painting-jdapr-00008785g/
Art like this promotes peacefulness, healing and as we all are aware that goddess Lakshmi brings good fortune and wealth. This is a thoughtful gift to give to families you are close to and show them how much you care for them and this is how you can wish them a good life.
Goddess Saraswati is the goddess of knowledge, art, music, wisdom and nature. This incredible website has a wall art with all 3 of these gods and goddesses in the same frame looking powerful and kind at the same time – https://www.printmyspace.com/shop/laxmi-ganesh-saraswati-diwali-poster-gift-canvas-vinyl-art-print-hindu-god-indian-ethnic-vintage-religious-spiritual-poster-wall-art-walldecor-jdapr-00008789g/
This can be a very lovely gift that will touch the hearts of the recipients, especially if they are very religious. Some sweets along with this art would be a cherry on the cake.
If you do know what the person likes or about their interests then this website is a godsend for you because www.printmyspace.com custom prints wall art, wallpaper, blinds, posters, etc. as per your choice. You can order a motivational poster for someone’s room or workspace. This gives a personalized touch to the gifts because you got it made especially for them.
Diwali Gifts For Your Girlfriend
Some of the common and yet personalized gifts for your girlfriend, fiance, or wife are listed below –
- A personalized cushion which has their photograph on it.
- Necklace with a heart-shaped pendant or you can buy any jewellery and get “Love” engraved on it.
- A teddy bear with a lovely, heart-touching message.
- If you want to show how serious you are about your partner then you can always give a promise ring. That would be the best gift idea for your girlfriend as it will be beautiful and full of promise and commitment.
- You can gift baskets full of beauty products that your partner requires in their daily life – their favorite shampoo, conditioner, lotion, hair oil, hair serum, perfume, a few nail paints, nail paint remover, face wash, face scrub, face mask, etc.
- You can give a manicure and pedicure kit that can be used at home at their convenience.
- If your girlfriend is an artist then getting Diwali gifts for her would be quite unchallenging. If she is a writer/author, you can never go wrong with a cute diary and a fancy pen. If she is into painting, then get her a new set of paintbrushes and a few canvases. It’s very uncomplicated to gift them as all it entails is to get them art supplies. Just browse through their art supplies and see what they are running out of or what requires to be replaced.
- An attractive purse or a handbag.
- A basket full of essential oils, bath salts, scented candles, and bubble baths is a beautiful and luxurious gift that will help relax her after a stressful day.
- Buy her a whole set of lipsticks or a palette of eyeshadows. Even a palette of highlighters is a good idea.
- If you know her size then gift her some outfits – a dress, romper, or a gown.
- You can also get her an adorable bobblehead of a character that she likes from TV series or movies.
Diwali Gifts For Parents
Parents always pretend that they don’t want anything but they are always ecstatic when we do get them something. They also like to be remembered and even a small gesture can touch their heart, as it shows that we think of them. You don’t need to go all out, but once in a while, it’s nice to show them how much you appreciate them. Some of the gift ideas for them are –
- A dry fruit box.
- Gold coins. They are a clever investment that pleases every parent that believes in long term planning.
- Silver coins, if you want to invest less, as they are cheaper than gold coins.
- Door hangings, or toran as they are known in Marathi, is a very marvellous gesture. It looks quite exquisite at the entrance of the house.
- Diwali lights, Diwali lanterns and Diwali divas never go out of style as Diwali gifts and they also manage to please any old-fashioned parents.
- Statues of God and/or Goddesses or wall art of the same.
- Diwali platter or Pooja platter, and you can fill it with some Diwali sweets that you know your parents like or some chocolates.
- Adding Diwali greeting cards with your gift would be a nice touch.
- You can gift your father a watch and a traditional outfit like a saree or a dress for your mother.
- You can gift diva lamps that are more eco-friendly than the Diwali divas that are fueled by oils.
- You can also gift a set of cups and saucers or any kind of china to go on the table.
- If you know the shops or brands from which your parents like to shop then you can gift them vouchers of those stores or brands. It gives a personalized touch to the gift.
- A cute tray to bring out when there are guests who need to be served. That will give your parents another reason to show-off their offspring in front of their friends.
Diwali Gifts For Friends
In the festival of lights, you can buy any of the above-mentioned gifts for your friends. You don’t need to personalize the gifts when it comes to friends but if you do, someone in your group will feel bad because they will feel you gave a better gift to someone else and not them. It is better to give the same gift to all of your friends. Some great ideas about the collection of Diwali gifts to give your friends are –
- A mug wishing “Happy Diwali”.
- A mason jar full of dry fruits.
- Diwali gift hampers.
- A wallet or a purse.
- Keychains with their name on it or the ones that say “Happy Diwali” on it.
- A good pair of earphones or headphones is always appreciated.
- A watch or a desk clock.
- A journal.
- A perfume or deodorant.
- Tea light stands
- Abstract art like this – https://www.printmyspace.com/shop/yellow-spot-canvas-wall-art-canvas-wall-decor/
Diwali Gift Cards
Adding a card with your Diwali gift is optional but it gives a very good impression and for people you are just sending a card, you should write a message yourself to add a personal touch. We can help you with what to write on the cards too. Here are some great options –
- “May you be filled with contentment and happiness on this day of Diwali. Wishing you a Diwali full of lights and joy.”
- Let’s celebrate this holy festival together. We may be miles apart but my heart and soul will be celebrating with you. Missing you this Diwali..”
- “Each diva gifts its glow and warmth to us. Hope your heart and home be filled with both on this Diwali and the coming year. Best wishes to your family from ours.”
- “On this Diwali, wishing that you make the most of all opportunities that come your way. Have a happy and prosperous Diwali.”
- May the flames of Diwali lamps which are bright and clear bring happiness to you as bright and clear themselves. Happy New Year and Shubh Diwali.”
- “I pray for the best of your health and happiness on this pious occasion of Diwali. May Lord Ganesha, Lord Krishna, Goddess Lakshmi, and Goddess Saraswati shower you with wisdom, wealth, prosperity, and success and illuminate every corner of your life. Wishing you a Happy Diwali and a Prosperous New Year.”
- “This Diwali, let us display our gratitude to all that we hold dear: our health, our family, our friends, and to the grace of Gods that never ceases. A gloriously Happy Diwali to you and your family.”
- “Hope that with each candle that you light, a dream comes true and a wish is fulfilled, filling your days with joy, peace, tranquillity, and prosperity. Have A Marvellous Diwali And New Year.”
- “Happy Diwali. I am wishing that the bright lights of Diwali guide you through your way out of every streak of trials in this life.”
This Diwali, when the fireworks are cracking, the dogs in your neighbourhood will be scared and terrified. Take them inside the building and give them shelter for the day. Try to take out some time to pet and comfort them. Feed at least one homeless guy and do a good deed for the day.
Maybe you don’t need perfect Diwali gifts, perhaps the aim of Diwali is to brighten up the existence of the people you meet, people you love and care about. Encourage everyone to help out others and make this world an agreeable place to live in.
Our sincerest hope is that you discover and purchase all the right gifts for your family and friends. If you have more ideas on Diwali gifts, leave a comment below and share it with our readers. If you like our take on this topic, forward this article to your friends and hint them on what to get you this Diwali.